What is your favorite Girl Scout cookie? That is not an easy question to answer! Mine is a toss up between Samoas and Thin Mints. Both are SO dang good. I am usually pretty good at avoiding eye contact and bolting through the doors of the grocery store, when the little girls in green are out. In my pre- eating clean days, I would buy 4 boxes, only to last 2 days. Thats $20 of cookies, gone way too fast! I will still occasionally buy a box or two, just to “support the Girl Scouts.” Ha We will just pretend that’s my reason. In the 21 Day Fix challenge group I run, we share our favorite Shakeology recipes on Thursdays. I posted a simple Thin Mint Shakeology recipe yesterday and my neighbor Shannon suggested I try to make a Samoa recipe. Genius. At first I considered making it really simple, but decided to go all in. In the process I came up with these! Completely clean, grain free, gluten free, and delicious!
Clean Samoa Cookies
First you will start by making the actual vanilla coconut cookie. This recipe makes 8-12 cookies. Ingredients
- 2 cups finely shredded unsweetened organic shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix.
- Grab a handful of dough and create your desired cookie shape. They will stay just about the same through the baking process.
- Place on prepared baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden.
- Let cool until they are completely cooled down. 2 hours should do.
- Move onto the next steps.
Clean Caramel Sauce Topping
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/3 cup raw coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup whole fat canned coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- bring the water and coconut sugar to a boil stirring the mixture constantly.
- add the coconut milk, vanilla extract, and salt. Cook for 10-15 minutes over medium heat, stirring constantly so that it does not burn. The mixture will start to thicken and turn darker in color. Keep in mind, it will thicken as it cools too.
Melted Chocolate Topping
Ingredients 1/3 Cup dark chocolate broken into small pieces. I prefer chocolate chips for easier melting. 1/2 tsp coconut oil + extra if needed. Instructions When you have about 5 minutes left on your caramel sauce, go ahead and start melting your chocolate.Using microwave-safe container, place chocolate in microwave at medium power (50 percent) for 1 to 11/2 minutes. Remove and stir. If chocolate is not melted, add a 1/2 tsp of coconut oil, stir, and return to microwave. Repeat heating step, stirring every 30 seconds to avoid burning. When small lumps remain, remove and continue to stir until it’s completely melted.
Once your cookies have cooled, and your chocolate and caramel sauces are still warm, drizzle them over your cookies! Let set for a few minutes, and enjoy! Guilt free and delicious! The girls in green have nothing on a clean cookie!
Click here for the SAMOA COOKIE SHAKEOLOGY RECIPE